Cleansing the liver with foods, supplements and juices is a wonderful spring ritual we can all benefit from.
The liver uses a two step detoxification sequence known simply as Phase 1 and Phase 2 to protect us from outside chemicals, to detoxify drugs, hormones as well as internally generated toxins. Some of the foods that support liver detoxification include raw brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale, kohlrabi), beets, carrots, soy, onions, ginger, garlic, sunflower seeds, green tea, peppers, citrus, legumes, oatmeal, fibre, probiotic bacteria (Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium) and turmeric.
Specific nutrients that support liver detoxification include N-acetyl cysteine, curcumin, vitamins B6, B2, B3, B12, C, folic acid, choline, methionine, taurine, magnesium, manganese, selenium, zinc, molybdenum, indole-3-carbinol or DIM, MSM. Herbs that support the liver include milk thistle, dandelion, globe artichoke, turmeric, schisandra, bupleurum and chelidonium.
A liver flush stimulates the liver to eliminate toxins and cholesterol, increases bile flow, and moves liver blood. It can be done 1-4 x a year or more, for 3-10 days at a time to help you liver detoxify. Spring is a particularly good time.
Schedule a time to do a 10-day liver flush. If you can, do it within the next month. Prepare yourself physically and psychologically with relaxation and breathing exercises daily, a vegetarian diet, and consciously releasing negative thought patterns, old resentments, and anger.
Liver Flush Directions
- Mix together freshly-squeezed lemon or lime juice to make one cup of liquid. Water it down to taste with filtered water if desired.
- Add 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic plus 2 tsp of fresh ginger juice or grated ginger. Both garlic and ginger protect the liver.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of high quality extra virgin olive oil from a metal or opaque glass container and blend the mixture together. This stimulates bile flow.
- Add a pinch of cayenne and 2 tsp turmeric powder. Mix it up. These assist liver detoxification pathways.
- Drink in the morning, waiting one hour before eating. Keep your diet simple the rest of the day, either eating mainly fresh fruits and vegetables or mung beans and rice cooked with vegetables.
- Be sure to have 3 bowel movements daily while doing the liver flush so that you eliminate what you are flushing out. To stimulate the bowel, take 2-4 tbsp freshly ground flaxseed daily and 1 tbsp psyllium seed powder or chia seeds daily, along with 3 liters of water.